Griner, Baylor proves too strong once again for Texas women’s basketball

Brittney Griner and the Bears proved too tough for the Longhorns once again as they took another conference win away from a struggling Texas team over the weekend.  

Texas traveled to Waco for a Saturday afternoon game, falling to Baylor, 67-47. Griner led her team with 30 points, outscoring Texas herself in the first half. 

The Longhorns (10-16, 3-12) brought their deficit to 19-14 late in the first half before Kimetria Hayden hit a three-pointer to get an 11-2 run started for Baylor (26-1, 15-0). The game remained there as Texas went into the break down 30-16. 

The Longhorns, who sit in the basement of the Big 12 standings, had a lot of trouble getting their shots to drop as they were shooting just 21.4 percent from the floor in the first half. 

The second half didn’t bring any improvements. Texas stayed within the halftime deficit for most of the half until a 9-0 run by the Bears brought their lead to 61-39.

Chassidy Fussell led the Longhorns with 16 points but went just 7-for-20 from the floor. She also tallied six of her team’s 23 turnovers, which continue to plague the young team. Baylor also gave Texas trouble in the turnover battle their last time out, when the Longhorns coughed it up 25 times.

“A lot of it had to do with how they put pressure on the basketball,” head coach Karen Aston said. “They do a tremendous job of denying the passing lanes. They don’t allow ball reversal because they can because of Griner’s presence in the paint. It just creates bad decision-making.”

The game consisted of a lot of celebration as Griner was honored before the game for becoming the eighth Division 1 woman with 3,000 career points in Baylor’s win at No. 3 Connecticut on Monday. She also became the first player with 700 career blocks, recording at least one in 76 straight games.

Published on February 25, 2013 as "Bears prove too strong for Horns once again".