Longhorns sweep Tech for 15th consecutive victory

No. 1 Texas coasted through Texas Tech on Saturday afternoon for its 15th consecutive victory (25-12, 25-13, 25-17). With its sixth Big 12 sweep, the Longhorns now improve to a perfect 12-0 in conference with four matches left.

The Longhorns (19-2, 12-0 Big 12) never struggled in the match as they hit a season best .407 while holding a struggling Red Raiders team to a .076 hitting percentage.

The match was close for all of 10 points, when Texas Tech (9-20, 2-11 Big 12) tied the first game at five. Then, junior All-American outside hitter Haley Eckerman countered with two of her four aces of the day to give Texas a two-point lead.

The second and third games were similar. Texas Tech would hang around early before Texas would pull away for a wide-margined victory.

Eckerman led the team with 12 kills while senior outside hitter Bailey Webster added 10 of her own. Junior middle blocker Khat Bell led the defense with eight of the Longhorns’ 19 blocks in the game.

For the third consecutive game, senior setter Hannah Allison got the start over freshman Chloe Collins.

The Longhorns return to Austin for three of the final four to close out the conference season. Only Iowa State and Kansas have an outside chance to catch the Longhorns for the Big 12 crown. The stretch starts Thursday as Texas plays host to West Virginia.