Defensive struggles, offensive barrage highlight Texas’ undefeated homestand

Two very different Longhorn teams made appearances during Texas’ two-game homestand at Myers Stadium this weekend. 

Friday’s season opener against No. 25 Arkansas resulted in a long, scoreless draw for both teams, but Texas claimed a dominant win over Nevada on Sunday. 

During Texas’ season start, the Razorbacks’ game plan — which included high shots from the penalty area — never came to fruition as junior goalkeeper Abby Smith recorded her 16th career shutout. 

Smith collected seven saves in the double-overtime contest and made a gutsy clearance outside of the box.

The Longhorns countered Arkansas’ physicality with careful passes and a flurry of crosses in front of the goal, but the team failed to capitalize on the few chances it had.

Against Nevada, a much more attack-minded team showed up. Freshman forward Olivia Brook and senior defender Brooke Gilbert led the charge with two goals each to help the team to a fast-paced 5-1 win.

Texas maintained excellent possession around the Nevada goal and launched 26 shots to Nevada’s nine en route to securing an undefeated homestand.

“Today, we did a better job of controlling our space,” said head coach Angela Kelly after the game. “It’s very important that we control the rhythm of the match.”

Texas travels to Corpus Christi next to take on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Friday at 7 p.m.