Women’s golf finishes fourth at Minnesota Invitational

Texas women’s golf turned in a final round team score of 301 Tuesday to finish in a tie for fourth at the Minnesota Invitational.

The event was the first of the season for the Longhorns, who carded a 43-over-par 907 team score at the two-day event. Senior Bertine Strauss finished in a tie for third place among individual players, the best finish of her career, by shooting a 4-over-par 220 for the tournament.

Junior Tezira Abe also recorded the best finish of her career, tieing for 21st with sophomore Julia Beck and shooting 12-over-par 228. 

“I was happy with the top-5 finish,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “It is one of our goals this year to finish every tournament in the top five. I was pleased with Bertine’s finish. She had a strong performance to start what should be a terrific season for her. I was also happy with the solid play by [Abe] and Beck. While we still have plenty of room for improvement, overall, I am happy with our performance and think it’s a solid start to the season.”

East Carolina finished first among the 14-team field, carding a 15-over-par 879 for the event. Colorado finished second with a score of 36-over-par 900.

The Longhorns’ next event is the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma, from Oct. 4-6.