Texas vs. Oklahoma: Longhorns trail 17-13 at halftime

The Texas defense was dominant for the game’s first 30 minutes, only surrendering 29 yards on 14 plays by the Sooner offense. But costly errors on special teams and offense buried the Longhorns into a 17-3 hole at halftime.

The Longhorns took their first drive for a field goal after having a fumble by senior running back Malcolm Brown overturned. The drive also included four of Texas’ eight first half penalties that hindered the offense. The Sooners took the ensuing kickoff back for a 91-yard touchdown return by Alex Ross.

Texas nearly answered with a 73-yard run by sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes, but most of those yards were negated by a holding penalty.

Oklahoma scored its second touchdown of the half on an interception return by Zack Sanchez early in the second quarter for a 17-3 Sooner lead.

The Longhorns responded on the ensuing drive, capped by a 38-yard touchdown grab on third and 12 by senior wide receiver John Harris.

Texas added a field goal late to cut the deficit to 17-13 at the break. But two poor snaps on the final drive could’ve cost Texas three points. 

The Longhorns nearly tripled OU’s time of possession in the first half, holding the ball for nearly 22.5 minutes. Texas outgained the Sooners from scrimmage 278-29 including a 106-8 edge on the ground. Longhorns have 14 first down’s to OU’s one.  Oklahoma didn’t convert a third down in four tries in the game’s first 30 minutes.

Senior receiver Jaxon Shipley has helped the Longhorns move the ball with seven receptions for 84 yards thus far.  Senior running back Malcolm Brown has 11 carries for 74 yards at the break and should finish with his best game this season.