UT System accepting public nominations for next University president

Paul Foster, Board of Regents chairman, announced a new UT System website on Monday to accept nominations from the public for the next UT-Austin president. 

With President William Powers Jr. set to step down from his position in June 2015, the website provides a tentative timeline for the presidential search process and allows people to provide input about
Powers’ successor.

“UT Austin is one of the most influential institutions in the world, and we want to do everything in our power to find an energetic and innovative leader who will continue to enhance and advance UT Austin’s education, research and health care missions,” Foster said in a news release.

The Presidential Search Advisory Committee and Spencer Stuart, an executive search consulting firm, are also aiding in the presidential search process. According to the System, Spencer Stuart has already assembled a list of potential candidates whom they have sought out or who have expressed interest in the position. 

The committee — led by Pedro Reyes, System executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, and Larry Faulkner, UT-Austin president emeritus — will meet for the second time Tuesday.

In accordance with System rules, the Presidential Search Advisory Committee will make the final recommendations for potential candidates to the Board of Regents, which will make the final decision on who will replace Powers.