Women’s golf wins season opener over No. 11 Texas A&M

Golf-Courtesy
Courtesy of Texas Sports

While the rivalry between Texas and Texas A&M has tapered off since the Aggies joined the SEC, women’s golf gave Longhorn fans a reason to brag with a season-opening win over No. 11 Texas A&M.

“I’m obviously very happy to get a win in College Station,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “The Aggies are a very good team, preseason No. 11.”

The Longhorns swept the morning rounds. Junior Julia Beck played with new-transfer Sophia Schubert for a 4&3 win over A&M freshman Maddie Szeryk and sophomore Thanya Pattamakijsakul, while sophomore Natalie Karcher paired up with other new-transfer Haley Mills for another win, 1up.

“In the morning foursomes, I’m not sure we could have played any better, winning all three matches,” Murphy said. “That tells me that our team has some great chemistry right now, which is very important in our sport.”

The latter part of the day was reserved for the individuals, where each player got to play against an Aggie.

“In the afternoon singles, I felt like each of my players played really well,” Murphy said.

Mills had a tough match against Texas A&M sophomore Andrea Jonama, but she held out her edge with a 5&4 win.

“[Mills] got up big early and never looked back,” Murphy said. “She played terrific all day.”

In her first college game, freshman Maddie Luitwieler won her morning foursome with senior Tezira Abe but struggled in the later single rounds against A&M sophomore Bianca Fabrizio.

“Luitwieler faced off against the reigning individual SEC Champion and they went 17 holes,” Murphy said. “I simply can’t ask my only freshman to do any more than that — she played great all day.”

Veteran players Abe and Beck also emerged with wins.  

“[Abe] battled through the match and finished with clutch birdies on 16 and 18 to win, 1up,” Murphy said. “[Beck] had to come back from a 2down deficit to win her match. She also birdied the last hole to come out on top.”

The Longhorns will be back in action Sept. 14 and 15 in Minneapolis, competing in the Minnesota Invitational.