Style, fashion of festivalgoers to be showcased at ACL

2014-10-10-ACL_weekend_two_friday_Sarah
Sarah Montgomery

Die-hard Austin City Limits Music Festival attendees know ACL isn’t just a live music showcase — it’s a fashion show. If you didn’t start planning your outfits for the festival months in advance, follow these tips to traverse Zilker Park in style.

Hair
Among the sea of man buns and floppy hats, more patient festival-goers will rock intricate hairstyles such as crown braids and multi-colored beach waves. If you don’t want to purchase temporary hair dye and can’t bear watching extensive YouTube tutorials, opt for simpler styles such as half-buns or messy braids. Either way, make sure your ‘do can withstand sweat, crowds and intense headbanging.

Tops
The thought of spending three days in the Texas heat pressed against other ACL-goers is enough to make most people consider breezy options such as off the shoulder tops. More daring festival veterans may want to wear bralettes, whether they’re on their own or accentuating a basic tank top. When things get cooler at night, attendees can spice up simpler outfits and provide more coverage with patterned kimonos.

One-Pieces
Floral or patterned dresses, rompers and playsuits are a stylish selection for low-maintenance attendees. Co-ordinates, a set of matching tops and bottoms, are simple and trendy outfits to wear to the festival.

Bottoms
As bell bottoms and suede skirts make a comeback, wannabe ‘70s groupies are in luck. Attendees can add some flavor to these fashion choices by wearing printed bell bottoms or button up skirts. High-waisted shorts are a festival staple, but patterned fabric shorts are a stylish and comfortable alternative.

Shoes
Combining comfort and style is the biggest obstacle when it comes to festival footwear. There’s nothing worse than standing and walking all day in painful shoes. Booties, gladiator sandals and Doc Martens are all suitable options. Make sure your shoes are durable to avoid losing one in the often-muddy festival grounds.

Bags
When it comes to carrying your items, the smaller the bag the better. Fit your necessities in either a small backpack that won’t get damaged by rowdy crowd members or a small crossbody bags that won’t bang against your thighs as you rock out. Bucket bags are a roomy option that match just about any festival outfit. Fanny packs are a practical alternative that allows you to keep your belongings nearby and hands-free.

Accessories
Ditch the overrated Flash Tats this year and show off your artistic abilities by experimenting with body paint. Accessorize your look with vibrant bangles, decorative chokers or midi rings. Nose rings are definitely welcomed in the festival environment and faux septum piercings are a less permanent choice that can give your look some edge.