Campus (Dildo) Carry protest sparks conversation on feminism

1016_illo_AlbertLee1
Albert Lee

Instead of carrying picket signs to demonstrate against campus carry, UT students have planned a different kind of protest: bringing dildos to class.

A protest started by UT alum Jessica Jin encourages students to openly carry dildos to their classes in protest of campus carry. The protest goes into effect on Aug. 24, 2016. After discovering that UT has a policy against carrying “sexually indecent” objects into classrooms, she decided that dildos were the perfect method for protesting campus carry. This protest has sparked conversation about more than campus carry; the conversation is also about feminism.

The Campus (Dildo) Carry protest aims to highlight the absurdity of campus carry, but has also sparked many conversations about feminism and sexuality in the process. The idea of people carrying sexually explicit objects into classrooms has upset many people. This raises the question of why SB11 supporters are so afraid of seeing these virtually harmless objects, but not afraid at all of guns.

“[Campus (Dildo) Carry] highlights the ludicrous but unfortunate truth that guns are more acceptable to tote around in Texas than sex toys,” business freshman Alton Braxton said.

There were over two dozen campus shootings reported in 2013. Allowing students to have guns on campus removes the cause for alarm when a student is known to have a gun. Furthermore, although these guns are concealed, the likelihood that they will be used — for self defense or not — is higher than if they were not allowed on campus at all. This creates a hostile environment for students and teachers.

Jin has received death threats over this protest, not because she is opposed to campus carry, but because people do not like the conversation it sparks about sexuality.

“Gun ownership is about fear and power,” said Jin. “Misogyny is also about fear and power … In feeling free to talk about sex and the repression that we’ve all felt through masculine expectations, we’ve discovered that we can talk about gun ownership in many of the same words.”

Outside of protesting campus carry, Jin’s protest has sparked a conversation about why female sexuality is discouraged from conversation. While the entire student body may not feel comfortable participating in this protest, Jin has managed to kill two birds with one stone.

Kashar is an English freshman from Scarsdale, New York. Follow Kashar on Twitter @leahkashar.