Longhorns go 1-1 in ITA Kickoff Weekend

Texas’ chances of advancing to the ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championship hinged on Lana Groenvynck’s third set.

The senior fought back from a 0-1 hole to tie her match with Alabama’s Natalia Maynetto with a 6-3 second set win.

But the third set went decidedly in Maynetto’s favor. Groenvynck struggled to keep up, eventually dropping the set 1-6, losing the match as the Longhorns finished the ITA Kickoff Weekend 1-1 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, this weekend.

The Longhorns opened the weekend with a come-from-behind win over Purdue on Saturday. Texas dropped the doubles point, but posted strong results in the singles matches. Senior Breaunna Addison and sophomore Dani Wagland led the way, sweeping both of their matches as the team won four of the six singles points to take the 4-3 win.

“Today’s win was emblematic of the extent to which our ladies are turning into a real team,” first-year Texas head coach Howard Joffe said after Saturday’s match.  “Everyone chipped in, and at 3-1 down in matches, pulling out a team victory was the product of top character and a total team effort.”

The Longhorns again opened their match against Alabama on Sunday in a 0-1 hole after dropping the doubles point. Texas fought back in the singles matches, with Addison and freshman Chelsea Crovetti both sweeping their matches. But Wagland fell in three sets in her match and Groenvynck couldn’t quite complete the comeback for the Longhorns.

Texas has this week off before resuming play against Incarnate Word on Feb. 3.