UT women’s golf has a busy spring season ahead of them

The fall season was filled with strong finishes for the Longhorns, but now the stakes are about to increase. Texas is preparing to start its spring season with the UCF Challenge in Orlando Florida on Feb. 7–9 and looking to set its sights on the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments in April and May.

The women competed in five tournaments last fall, all with top 10 finishes, but head coach Ryan Murphy said he believes the best is yet to come.

“All in all, it was a good team effort,” Murphy said. “This team will continue to improve and will be competing for championships in the spring.”

Several players had strong showings during the fall season.

Junior Haley Mills finished the season without a bogey during her last two rounds, while sophomore Sophia Schubert shot three consecutive rounds of 69-68-66 during the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown to set the record for the lowest round of any player this season.

“I’m just going to keep working hard, and I know my game is where it needs to be right now,” Schubert said.

Junior Julia Beck had an impressive fall season as well with her career-best fourth place finish at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational. The home course advantage aided in her tournament day-low 67 to lead Texas to a fourth place finish overall. Beck also placed top 30 in two other events last fall.

The senior credited her improved play to being more confident and having better course management.

“I know where I need to hit it, where I play best from, and that’s it,” Beck said.