Live Blog: SXSW 2016 | Sunday, March 13

sxsw2016liveblog+copy
Amy Zhang

Update (2:00 a.m.): “Hardcore Henry” is an experimental first-person action film that stuns and surprises with brutal, inventive action and a standout performance from Sharlto Copley. Find out how hardcore it is in our review.

• — Charles Liu

Update (11:30 p.m.):  “Arrested Development” actress Alia Shawkat was the celebrity guest Sunday night at the Upright Citizen’s Brigade ASSSCAT show at Esther’s Follies. Read our write-up of the show and find out what memories she shared and how the improv team used her stories to construct hilarious skits.

• — Cat Cardenas and Katie Walsh

Update (6:30 p.m.): Austin director Keith Maitland has premiered “Tower,” a gripping, harrowing account of the fateful UT Tower shooting in 1966. A must-watch for UT students and for people around the nation, it is a well-crafted and moving documentary. Read our review here.

• — Charles Liu

Update (5:30 p.m.): Australian singer songwriter Cloves spoke with The Daily Texan about her upcoming album, South by Southwest shows and how she got involved in the music industry (she was in a band with her primary school teacher.) To read more from the interview, check out our article here.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (5 p.m.): Festival-goers at South By Southwest face a number of perils, from hangovers and sunburns to dead batteries. This weekend, when a SXSW attendee's phone battery dips below 20 percent, a team of sidecar-riding St. Bernards can provide some assistance. Photos by Daulton Venglar.

For the second year, Smartphone accessory company Mophie is bringing attention to the National St. Bernard Rescue Foundation which rescues and rehabilitates St. Bernards across the country.

In a collaboration with Indian Motorcycle, the dogs ride in sidecars to save the day of anyone with a low battery who tweets #MophieRescue to Mophie's twitter account.

Those who don't need extra juice in their phones can head to Mophie's Bad to the Bone Bar on Fifth and Trinity St. to play with the pups.

Christine Banky, state coordinator for the Texas St. Bernard Rescue said the event brings attention to the St. Bernard breed, allowing people to see what gentle giants the dogs are.

Banky became involved with the organization after moving to Texas and deciding she wanted to foster dogs. She said she still remembers one of her first rescues, a St. Bernard named Muffin.

"Muffin first came to us without any hair because of his mange," Bankey said. "Eventually we were able to place him with a great family up in Dallas and he got to live on a big ranch."

She said her time with the organization has had it's ups and downs but she's always eager to see dogs get placed in good homes.

"It's been awesome and very rewarding," Bankey said. "There are a lot of sad times but even more happy times when you get to place a dog in a good home."

— Cat Cardenas

Update (4:27 p.m.): Celebrate Austin filmmaker Richard Linklater’s career by heading to Mondo Gallery’s No Longer/Not Yet exhibit — a collection of posters which feature iconic scenes from Linklater’s films. To learn more about the exhibit, check out our article here.

Update (12:30 p.m.): It’s going to be another sweaty day at SXSW, with temperatures reaching the mid 80s. Today marks the last day of Samsung Galaxy Life Fest, with performances by Elle King and Sia and the premiere of Ethan Hawk’s Born to Be Blue.

Here's our schedule for the day:

• 11 a.m. — TOWER
  • 2 p.m. — The Memory Observatory
  • 8 p.m. — Upright Citizens Brigade Presents: ASSSSCAT
  • 8 p.m. — Samsung Galaxy Life Fest
  • 9:30 p.m. — Hardcore Henry