Live Blog: SXSW 2016 | Monday, March 14

sxsw2016liveblog+copy
Amy Zhang

Update (3:15 a.m.): “Beware the Slenderman” offers a chilling look at the 2014 Slenderman stabbing and powerful commentary on the Internet’s effect on young children. Read our review here

• — Charles Liu

Update (9 p.m.): Upright Citizens Brigade member Anthony Atamanuik held a mock press conference as Donald Trump this evening at Hideout Theater. FInd out what outrageous jokes he threw at the audience by reading our write-up here.

• — Megan Hix and Katie Walsh

Update (7:30 p.m.): "The Waiting" proves different from conventional teen thrillers that immerse audiences in a plight to escape an imposing threat, instead making the protagonists the threat. Read our review to see what makes this movie unique.

• — Sebastian Sada

Update (6:30 p.m.): Filmmakers J.J. Abrams and Andrew Jarecki dropped by the Austin Convention Center to talk about telling relatable stories and filmmaking technology. Read our recap here.

• — Charles Liu

Update (6 p.m.): Seth Rogen, Dominic Cooper and the cast and crew of “Preacher” took the stage at the Paramount Theatre this afternoon to debut the new AMC drama. Read our recap here.
— Megan Hix

Update (2:45 p.m.): Today's keynote speaker, low-budget Mumblecore director Joe Swanberg, discussed his long journey to success and what he has learned about low-budget filmmaking along the way. Read our write-up of his speech here.

• — Katie Walsh

Update (12:45 p.m.): It’s day four of SXSW and things are really gearing up downtown. Interactive and film portions of the fest continue as music events such as Spotify House kick off. Check out our slideshow to see photos from the past two days.

Leave your sweaters at home, because today’s forecast includes highs in the mid-90s and sunny skies.

Here’s what we’re checking out today:

• 11 a.m. — Joe Swanberg keynote speech
  • 2:45 p.m. — “The Preacher” screening
  • 3:30 p.m. — “The Eyes of Robots and Murderers” with JJ Abrams and Andrew Jarecki
  • 8:45 p.m. — “Beware the Slenderman” screening
  •  
  • — Megan Hix