Big 12 Notebook: TCU off to roaring start

2014-04-28_Basebal_OSU_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

TCU has shown no signs of ceding its position atop the Big 12. 

The Horned Frogs, ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 preseason rankings, got a head start on the run to a conference title with a dominating sweep over the West Virginia Mountaineers. 

TCU ripped off 31 runs in the three-game homestand and could have scored more had the finale not been called after seven innings with the score at 14-2 in favor of the Horned Frogs. 

A 16–3 record has helped the Horned Frogs secure the No. 6 spot in the D1 baseball rankings.

Texas Tech hauls in a pair of awards 

• Texas Tech was handsomely compensated for its series win on the road against Baylor. 

Outfielder Tanner Gardner, who hit .615 last week in the Baylor series and a midweek showdown against UT Arlington, took home Big 12 Player of the Week honors. The sophomore’s strong week boosted his average up to .467, good for the best mark in the conference. 

Right-handed pitcher Davis Martin twirled a gem in his conference debut to earn Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honors. The freshman twirled six innings of shutout ball in the conference opener against Baylor on Friday and earned the win in the 5-0 victory. 

Martin’s ERA sits at 2.18, the eighth best mark in the conference, and his .188 opposing batting average is the sixth lowest in the Big 12. 

Oklahoma State goes 2-1 against Michigan 

• The Cowboys justified their No. 22 ranking in the D1 baseball polls by taking two out of three games in a weekend series against the Michigan Wolverines. 

Oklahoma State took the first two games of the series before dropping the finale 4-2 to end their seven-game winning streak. 

Right-handed pitcher Trey Cobb spearheaded the Cowboy effort on the weekend with a 13 strikeout, one earned run effort over six innings of work on Saturday. Cobb’s gem earned the junior the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week honors.

Sooners off to six-game win streak 

• 2016 has been a tumultuous campaign for the Oklahoma Sooners. 

Just over a week ago, the team was sitting on an unimpressive 5-9 record and facing an uphill battle to Big 12 relevance. 

But since then, the Sooners have ripped off six straight wins, capped by a 13-0 win at CSU Bakersfield on Saturday, and climbed two games above .500 heading into its final match before conference play. 

The Sooners will face Oral Roberts at home Tuesday before heading off to Lubbock this weekend to open Big 12 play against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.