Breaunna Addison’s 100th win highlights Longhorns’ performance against Northwestern

Senior Breaunna Addison picked up her 100th singles win Monday afternoon in Texas’ 5-2 win over 36th-ranked Northwestern at Whitaker courts.

Addison is the first Texas player to reach the century mark since Aeriel Ellis in 2013.

“I’m glad I was able to accomplish something like this, not just for me but for UT,” Addison said.

The Boca Raton, Florida, native notched her highlight win over Northwestern’s 81st-ranked Erin Larner. It was no quick feat. Addison’s victory took three sets, finishing 3-6, 6-4 and 6-2.

Addison wasn’t the only player with something to be proud about Monday afternoon.

“This group … has come a long way since the fall, when we had only four or five players, then certainly in the spring since we’ve gotten up to six or seven quality players,” head coach Howard Joffe said.

The Longhorns succeeded in protecting their home courts yet again. They’re now 6–0 in Austin.

Texas gained the doubles point after Addison and Dani Wagland beat the Wildcat’s Alex Chatt and Maddie Lipp 6-3, and Longhorn freshman duo Chelsea Crovetti and Katie Poluta defeated Brooke Rischbieth and Lee Or 6-3. Despite the strong Longhorn effort, Joffe feels that the team still has room to improve.

“It was definitely not our best tennis this year,” Joffe said. “I think, for whatever reason, we looked a little lackluster and tired out there.”

Regardless, Texas captured four out of six singles wins from Poluta, Neda Koprcina, Daniella Roldan and Addison, in that order.

“The character and the toughness to win a match like that, when it was really one of our poorer performances in terms of the quality of play, says a lot about the competitiveness and the toughness of the team,” Joffe said.

Texas is back in action at home this weekend, hosting Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.