Texas rowing wins one race, finishes second in four others in San Diego Crew Classic

After advancing to the finals in all five races in the San Diego Crew Classic yesterday, No. 9 Texas rowing competed well in each finals race, winning one and finishing runner-up in the other four.

Texas opened the day strongly with a first place showing in the Women’s Collegiate Novice Grand Final, claiming an early lead in the 2000-meter race and never letting up. The Longhorns rowed a time of 7:10.643, easily beating second place finisher Washington State by 16 seconds. They also took home the Laurel Korholz Trophy for their victory.

Texas came in second with a time of 6:57.6 in the Second Varsity Eight Grand Final, falling to No. 2 California. The Longhorns and the Bears were in tight competition throughout most of the race, and the contest between the two schools would continue in each of Texas’ remaining regattas.

Texas’ toughest race came in the Varsity Eight Jessop-Whittier Grand Final, where they again took second place behind California. The Longhorns, whose time was 6:51.682, held off a furious comeback by University of Southern California in the final hundred meters, beating them by less than .1 seconds.

The Longhorns finished in second place, once again behind California, with a time of 7:59.622 in the Varsity Four Grand Final.  While Texas was ahead early in the race, California managed to come from behind and pull away from the Longhorns late in the race.

Texas posted a 7:17.283 time to claim second place in the Women’s Open Grand Final, the final race of the day. The Longhorns were only bested by California, for the fourth time that day, who won the race by a 13 second margin.

Texas will head to South Carolina next to compete in the Clemson Invite April 16-17.