Longhorns, Sophia Schubert second after first round of Big 12 Championship

The Longhorns’ quest for their first conference championship since 2011 got off to a strong start Friday, finishing the day at 2-under par and in a tie for second place in the Big 12 Championship in San Antonio.

Texas is tied with Oklahoma State and one shot back of leader Iowa State after 18 holes.

“Everybody stayed with it all the way through and I’m really proud of that,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “We just need two more days of the same effort.”

Sophomore Sophia Schubert led the way for the Longhorns, securing birdies on three of the last four holes to finish the day at 2-under par, one shot back of leader Madison Talley of Kansas State.

Junior Haley Mills currently sits one stroke back of Schubert at 1-under par and is in a five-way tie for third.

Junior Julia Beck struggled through the first nine holes of the day, carding three bogeys and a double bogey to start, but rebounded with five birdies on the back nine to finish at 1-over par. Senior Natalie Karcher finished an up-and-down day at 2-over par.

Senior Tezira Abe struggled throughout the day, finishing with three bogeys and a double bogey to end with at four-over par.

Texas will start its second round at 10 a.m. Saturday with the final round commencing Sunday morning.