Austin hosts events to celebrate national Pride Week

Austin_Pride_Month
Lillian Michel

It’s Pride Week in Austin, a city with one of the largest LGBT communities in the country. Here are eight events to celebrate and show pride for the rest of the week.

Austin Pride Queer Art Show | Wednesday, Aug. 24 at 7 p.m. | The Q Austin, 2906 Medical Arts St. | Free | All ages
Local artists will have a chance to showcase their artwork at this Pride event. Food trucks will also line The Q’s courtyard, so you can grab a bite to eat as you browse your favorite paintings and illustrations.

2016 Pride Interfaith Celebration: “Together in Love” | Thursday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. | First United Methodist Church of Austin, 1201 Lavaca St. | Free | All ages
Featuring speakers from Latino and Muslim communities, this annual event celebrates diversity of religion. It will conclude with a performance from the Celebration Choir and a reception.

Turn It Up for Change | Thursday, Aug. 25 at 6:30 p.m. | W Austin, 200 Lavaca St. | Free | 21+
Artist Baron Von Fancy will unveil new artwork designed in support of the LGBT community and Austin Pride with the Human Rights Campaign. A DJ will be playing music all night.

Xposed: Austin PRIDE Week Men’s Party | Friday, Aug. 26 at 9 p.m. | Oilcan Harry’s, 211 W. Fourth St. | Free | 21+
Special guest DJ Kidd Maddonny and Fleshjack will make appearances at this party. Intended to celebrate men’s Pride, this event will also feature a runway, complete with models and giveaways.

Girl PRIDE ATX: Austin PRIDE Week Official Women’s Party | Friday, Aug. 26 at 9 p.m. | Highland Lounge, 404 Colorado St. | Free | 21+
This official women’s party will host special guests Rose Garcia, from the show “Real L Word,” and DJ Athenz. A portion of VIP and Exclusive VIP ticket profits will go towards the Austin PRIDE Cares Program, developed to educate and connect the local LGBT community.

Austin Pride Festival | Saturday, Aug 27 at 11 a.m. | Fiesta Gardens, 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St. | Price varies | All ages
Featuring over 150 booths of local nonprofits as well as food, art and games, the 26th annual Pride Festival is one of the largest LGBT events of the year. Entertainers include Big Freedia, Bob the Drag Queen and Book of Love.

Pride Parade | Saturday, Aug. 27 at 8 p.m. | The Capitol, 1100 Congress Ave. | Free | All ages
The Pride Parade is the largest event of the week and features over 120 participating organizations. Beginning at the Capitol, the procession will continue down Congress Avenue toward the Warehouse District, ending at Republic Square Park.

Queer MF | Saturday, Aug. 27 at 8 p.m. | Empire Control Room & Garage, 606 E. Seventh St. | $8 cover, $5 surcharge for attendees between the ages of 18 and 20
Featuring performances by Fallen Queeroes, The Please Please Me and Jane Ellen Bryant vs. Genuine Cello, this event will cover a large variety of music, from rock to EDM to DJ sets, and feature a karaoke contest.

Soundwave: Pride EditionSunday, Aug. 28 at 12 p.m. | WET Deck at W Austin, 200 Lavaca St. | $20, all ages
The W Hotel hosts a weekly Sunday pool party on the hotel’s WET Deck — and this week it’s Pride edition. Bird Peterson will be performing a musical set, and other special surprise guests will be revealed at the event.