Longhorns drop head-to-head battle against Texas Tech

On a windy Sunday morning, the Longhorns dropped a 72-hole battle to Texas Tech in a head-to-head matchup in Lubbock, Texas. 

As a team, the Longhorns carded a four-over par. Texas Tech shot six strokes less than Texas, leaving the course Sunday afternoon at two-under par. Individually, senior Haley Mills led the Longhorns with a two-under par performance. She was the only Longhorn to finish the match under par, and one of three from both teams to do so.

Junior Sophia Schubert finished the day at an even 72, followed by senior Julia Beck and freshman Emilee Hoffman, who both finished the day at 75.

“I am really happy with Haley Mills’ 70 and Sophia Schubert’s 72,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “Overall, four-over par is good.”

Texas Tech’s Mami Yamamoto was the final clubhouse leader after shooting an impressive five-under par.

Murphy said that practice on a links-style course will be extremely valuable as the season progresses, and that there’s still room for improvement.

“It was a great day for our development,” Murphy said.

Next up for the Longhorns is a trip to Maui, Hawaii, as they take on the some of the toughest teams in the country at the Anuenue Spring Break Classic. The tournament begins Tuesday, March 14, at Kanehoe Clipper Golf Course.