Air Force veteran share stories of service, discrimination

2017-03-28_Military_Women_Carlos
Carlos Garcia

Air Force veteran Maj. Mary Jennings Hegar told stories Monday from her three tours in Afghanistan about how she faced discrimination as a woman in the military.

The campus event was hosted by Texas Orange Jackets and Campus Events and Entertainment Distinguished Speakers as part of Week of Women, a series of events that seeks to empower women, said event organizer Emily Burns, a Plan II and biochemistry junior. 

Hegar encouraged the audience to “fail forward” by never letting failure stop someone from pursuing their dreams. What defines personal success can change throughout your life, Hegar said.

“Everything you do, from sitting in this room, to what classes you take, to conversations you have with people, have a ripple effect, and they do impact the world around you,” Hegar said. “Don’t turn around and look at your life and say, ‘I should’ve tried that.’ Whether it’s asking someone out on a date, or just going for that career, just remember this.”

Hegar is a UT ROTC alumna and served in the Air Force as a medevac pilot. Hegar was awarded the Purple Heart and was the sixth woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross for her service.

“(Hegar) opened doors to women who want to have the same roles as men in the military, to stand up for what you believe in, to take a stand on an issue and fight for it,” said event organizer Jorden Meneghetti, Plan II and history senior. 

In 2012, Hegar sued the Secretary of Defense on the constitutionality of the Combat Exclusion Policy, which excluded women from military combat positions and was repealed the following year.

“I think she’s incredibly brave for going up against her far superior and fighting for women’s rights in the military,” said Madison Lee, a communication sciences and disorders sophomore. “I think that she has accomplished … many things and that her combat experience gave her a lot of credibility, and her own confidence in herself really helped her.”

Hegar said holding herself to the highest standard, regardless of gender, has contributed to her success, and she encouraged students to do the same. 

“Whatever you’re doing, if you’re outside your comfort zone, make sure that you are as competent as possible and hold yourself to the highest degree,” Hegar said.