Longhorns come back to steal game from Sooners

Kody_Clemens_2018-03-21_Baseball_vs_SamHoustonSt_Katie
Katie Bauer

The unusual is supposed to happen on Friday the 13, but Texas probably didn’t expect the first of its three-game series with rival Oklahoma to go quite the way it did. The Longhorns, who trailed by three runs at three different times, even as late as the seventh inning, came from behind to win, 7-6, in Norman.

Freshman right-hander Bryce Elder started on the mound for Texas after it was announced that junior Nolan Kingham, the normal Friday starter, would not be allowed to start for “not adhering to the team’s academic attendance policy.”

Elder, who recorded the first start of his career, llet up four runs in five innings before being replaced by another freshman — Kamron Fields. Fields was followed by junior Matteo Bocchi and redshirt junior Andy McGuire, who secured the victory for the Longhorns.

Offensively, the Longhorns were led yet again by the midseason All-American, junior infielder Kody Clemens. He recorded his team-leading 10th home run on the season. Not to be outdone, redshirt freshman designated hitter Zach Zubia hit a bomb himself to make it seven home runs on the season.

The late-inning dramatics, however, were supplied by junior outfielders Tate Shaw and Masen Hibbeler, who drove in the final three runs of the ball game for Texas. Hibbeler’s clutch hit was a two-run double that retook the lead for the Longhorns.

Junior catcher DJ Petrinsky also had himself a day as he recorded a clutch walk, an RBI sacrifice fly and a triple.

Augie’s tribute from his former assistant

Oklahoma head baseball coach Skip Johnson was the pitching coach for the late Texas head coach Augie Garrido. Johnson’s staff crafted a sign with the letters and numbers “AG 16” to show their respects for Garrido.

The Longhorns will play again Saturday in the second game of the series against the Sooners at L. Dale Mitchell Baseball Park. First pitch is scheduled for 8 p.m.