Class of 2019 senior gift aims to improve UT Libraries

gift_2019-03-05_Libraries_Collecting_Journals_Armin
Armin Panjvani

Nearing the end of their time on the Forty Acres, the class of 2019 is giving back to campus with this year’s senior gift, the Library Tomorrow Fund.

The senior gift tradition was restarted last year by the class of 2018 and encourages seniors to give back to UT and leave a lasting legacy. This year’s gift will benefit UT Libraries with funds for more collaborative spaces and increased digital capacity. 

Fundraising efforts for senior gifts are facilitated by both Student Government and the Student Foundation. 

Madeline Nassif, vice president of development for the Student Foundation, said she was excited to get the chance to work on this year’s gift. 

“We decided to raise money for UT Libraries because we polled seniors to see what resources they used most on campus, and the library was one of the most popular responses,” social work senior Nassif said in an email. “We thought the UT Library’s Tomorrow Fund was a great way to connect students’ appreciation and passion for the library to the legacy this fund will create.”  

Last year’s senior gift aimed to financially assist interpersonal violence peer supporters and help provide meals for the student emergency food pantry. 

Leslie Solcher, business honors and management information systems senior, has been working with the senior gift committee to help the campaign go as planned.

“Last year’s gifts were already being funded by other entities, and student contributions to senior class gift ‘18 added to those financing efforts,” Solcher said. “Our gifts support great causes that are financed by other sources as well so that we can maximize the impact of student contributions.” 

Student philanthropy coordinator Mona Rupani is directly overseeing this year’s senior gift campaign and has been working with the library system. 

“HornRaiser is the platform that we’re using to collect the money, and that site directly puts the money back into the library’s account,” Rupani said. “(The library) knows about the campaign. They’re fully informed … (and) they have been chatting with us and telling us that the money has been showing up.”

The campaign wraps up in May after graduation, and any senior who donates $20.19 will also receive a commemorative class of 2019 pin.

“Graduating students have a chance to leave a lasting impact on the University of Texas,” Nassif said. “This is an opportunity to say ‘thanks’ to the Forty acres.”