Celebrate fall season with pumpkin patches near campus, around Austin

pumpkin_2019-10-10_Pumpkin_Patch_Presley
Presley Glotfelty

As Halloween nears and colder weather approaches, so do classic fall activities. Pumpkin patches are a fall staple, perfect for photo opportunities and getting your pumpkin carving fix.

In college, it can be difficult to find the right time and place for the full pumpkin patch experience. The Daily Texan compiled a list of pumpkin patches located near campus and around Austin to help students find their perfect jack-o’-lantern.

Tarrytown United Methodist Church

Just over two miles from campus, the closest pumpkin patch for students is located at Tarrytown United Methodist Church. The patch has been a tradition for 30 years at the church and serves as a fundraiser for the church’s students traveling to serve communities both local and abroad. It provides a picturesque scene to snap some cute fall photos, in addition to pumpkins for all your carving needs. Pricing varies by the size of each pumpkin. The patch is open 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday and 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday.

Saint John’s United Methodist Church

About four miles from campus, Saint John’s United Methodist houses a pumpkin patch. The church is located at 2140 Allandale Road and can be reached by an approximate 30 minute bus ride. For a suggested $10 family or $3 individual donation, you can also paint your pumpkin on weekdays, which can be a fun alternative for those who don’t want to deal with the smell or mess that comes with carving a pumpkin. The patch is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m..

Anderson Terrace Pumpkin Patch

Although slightly farther away from campus, the pumpkin patch located on Anderson Terrace also includes opportunities to paint your pumpkins and take photos. Furry friends are welcome Monday through Thursday. In addition to a $5 entrance fee applied to any purchase made, pumpkins start at $2, and cost varies by size. The patch is open from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday-Sunday.

Sweet Berry Farm

If you don’t mind driving too far, a trip to Sweet Berry Farm in Marble Falls, Texas makes for the perfect day trip. This location provides the most diverse range of activities, with entertainment for all ages. In addition to a pumpkin patch, the farm also includes a corn maze, flower picking, scarecrow stuffing and the opportunity to ride the horses that are located on the property. There are no entrance or parking fees, though there are varying costs associated with the different activities available at the farm. Closed on Wednesdays, the patch is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m..