Hook ‘em Arts holds Bob Ross tutorial event before finals

bob_ross1_2019-12-03_Bob Ross_Evan
Evan L’Roy

With finals week just around the corner and students flocking to the Perry-Castañeda Library to prep for their end-of-semester exams, some students decided to opt for a more creative way to spend the first day of class after Thanksgiving break. 

Equipped with blank canvases and paint-dotted plastic plates, more than a dozen students followed a Bob Ross painting tutorial video that was projected on the wall of The Loft at Bass Concert Hall.

The event was hosted by Hook ‘em Arts. Hook ‘em Arts president Becca Wrench said though the event started just last year, it has become a popular way for students to relieve stress before final exams.

“We originally got this idea from our president last year, and everyone just seemed to like it,” said Wrench, an international relations and global studies senior. “We thought that people could have a really good time and enjoy this hectic week by taking a breath, relaxing and painting with Bob Ross.” 

Want more content like this in your inbox every morning?

Studio art junior Sydney Starnes said although the event was put on for fun and stress relief, the tutorial was a bit difficult to follow. 

“It’s stressful trying to keep up, but it’s still a lot of fun,” Starnes said. “Like Becca said, (they) haven’t seen a bad painting, everyone’s doing well. I don’t think you can really go wrong unless something horrible happens, like spilling paint everywhere.”

Aerospace engineering freshman Keri Christian said the event gave her an opportunity to focus on something that didn’t have to do with her major. 

“I feel like a lot of engineering majors just do engineering orgs, but I think it’s good to have something to distract you from classes and make your more well-rounded,” Christian said. “I probably should’ve stayed in office hours longer, but I wanted to come here and paint. I’ve gone to a bunch of painting events and then I get the canvases and hang them on my dorm room wall.”

Based on overall student reception, Hook ‘em Arts marketing officer Julio Muñoz hopes to make this event a staple in the organization. 

“This is the second time we’ve done it, and it was an even bigger turn out than we thought it was going to be,” said theater and dance junior Munoz. “We’re almost guaranteeing that this is going to be a staple in our organization, and we’re shooting for every semester, if not every year.”