Texas swimming and diving make splash at first invitationals

Joanna_Evans_2018-10-19_Texas_v_Indiana_v_Florida_Angela
Angela Wang

The Texas men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams returned to the pool this weekend at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center for two separate meets.

The women’s team competed in the Dust Off Your Boots Invitational, which served as its annual intrasquad meet. The men’s team welcomed Southern Methodist University and Texas A&M in the First Chance Invitational. 

Leading the Longhorns women’s team was senior Evie Pfeifer, junior Julia Cook, freshman Anna Elendt and sophomore Kelly Pash, each recording a NCAA “B” cut in their respective events. 

The meet also played host to former Longhorns and current professional swimmers. Former UT All-American and USA Swimming Women's National Team member Madisyn Cox claimed both the 200-yard individual medley and the 400-yard individual medley. Cox holds Texas records in both events. Former Longhorn and Bahamian Olympian Johanna Evans took first in the 200-yard freestyle. Evans currently holds the 500-yard freestyle, 1000-yard freestyle and the 1650-yard freestyle team records.

While the First Chance Invitational was not scored, the men’s team broke both pool and team records. Friday, freshman Carson Foster set the USA swimming 17-18 national age group standard and the Texas team record in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 3:35.27, the third-fastest time in collegiate history. Foster also holds seven other national age group records in the individual medley, butterfly and relays. 

Another 17-18 national age group record fell in the 1000-yard freestyle, as freshman David Johnston clipped the standard during his 1650-yard freestyle swim. While the 1000-yard freestyle is not contested at the NCAA Championships, his time puts him in a higher position for the mile. 

Junior Drew Kibler narrowly missed the Texas team record of 4:08.19 in the 500-yard freestyle currently held by former Longhorn and Olympic gold medalist Townley Haas. Kibler’s time of 4:08.25 earned him an NCAA “A” cut.

The Texas men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams are set to return to the pool Oct. 30 in a dual meet with Texas A&M at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center.