6 safe Valentine’s Day ideas for couples, friends

0212_Valentine_BarbraDalyW
Barbra Daly

Whether you’re head over heels in love or just vibing to the beat of your own drum, everyone deserves to treat themselves this Valentine’s Day. 

It can be stressful trying to plan a showstopping yet COVID-19 friendly date. The Daily Texan curated a list of local businesses with safe events for you and your significant other or platonic bestie to participate in. 

Valentine’s at the Drive-In

Blue Starlite Drive-In is hosting their “Valentines at the Drive-In,” screening iconic romances such as “Love & Basketball,” “Sixteen Candles” and, of course, “The Notebook.” For $40–$50, you can enjoy concessions and a movie from the comfort of your own vehicle. In accordance to  COVID-19 guidelines, you must sit inside your car and masks must be worn if windows are 75% down. The fun will last until February 15. 

Personalized Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

If you’re looking for something subtle that still says “I love you,” check out Jaydin Bonilla (@jaydinbonilla), a health and society junior, and biology freshman Kyahria Thomas (@kyahriadaje) on Twitter for their personalized chocolate-covered strawberries. Each baker has their order options, procedures and delivery dates available via tweets or direct messages. Prices range from $20–$40. 

atxGALS Galentine’s Show

Women should support women, and what better way to do that then at atxGALS’ fifth annual Galentine's Show. For $15 a person, you can walk The Cathedral on East 16th Street while taking in the talent of nine local women artists, including Neena Buxani and Danika Ostrowski. The pop-up event will be held on Feb. 13 and 14 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. in 90-minute shifts to maintain social distancing. Masks must be worn. 

To the Moon and Back Date Night

A pricier choice for lovebirds, and even platonic couples, is Mozart’s Coffee Roasters' “To the Moon and Back” date night event. The full-service, three-course dessert (yes, dessert) and coffee tasting event not only includes all the chocolate and sugar you could ever desire, but live music and a beautiful lakeside view. Tables will be spaced six feet apart and reservations can be made for $166.50 per couple from Feb. 11 through Feb. 14. 

Matchmaker Band at Far Out Lounge

For dynamic duos who want a more relaxed musical experience, head on over to The Far Out Lounge and Stage and watch the 10 talented musicians of Austin’s Matchmaker Band. From cover songs of the influential Jackson 5 to the queen Beyoncé, it’s sure to be a night of funk and soul. It’s only $10 for this outdoor, socially distanced, mask enforced, limited capacity Valentine’s Day night extravaganza. 

Austin Pets Alive! Palentine’s 5K

If your valentine is your pet, wait until Feb. 20 to join Austin Pets Alive! in their Palentine’s 5K. This socially distanced solo 5K run is happening on National Love Your Pet Day and supports pets who are homeless. For $25 ($30 if you want the exclusive Palentine’s 5K T-shirt), you can connect with other pet lovers and outdoor enthusiasts via social media by posting pictures after the run to the Facebook event page or any other social media site. Everyone’s best friend deserves some love, too!

Editor's Note: This story first appeared in The Daily Texan's February 12 print edition.