Texas men’s basketball took down TCU to end regular season on high note, winning streak

Gregg Ellman - Andrew_Jones_TCU_TX_030721w
Courtesy of Texas Athletics

Texas took care of business Sunday.

Missed windmill dunk aside, the Texas men’s basketball team capitalized on a hot shooting night and took down TCU 76-64 in Fort Worth, ending the season on a three-game winning streak in six days on the road.

“It wasn’t easy,” senior guard Matt Coleman said. “Traveling is not easy. Playing in the Big 12 on the road is not easy. But we were able to find a way to do what we do.”

With a slim four-point deficit heading out of halftime, the Horned Frogs stuck around for the first four minutes in the second half. 

Then, junior guard Courtney Ramey got hot. In a four-minute stretch, Ramey made three 3-pointers, directed the Texas offense and engineered a run that gave Texas a 14-point lead.

“At halftime, our guys responded well,” head coach Shaka Smart said. “You could kind of tell that our guys were feeling a little tired just from the week. But when you’re an older guy and when you have a level of poise and toughness to you, you just find more, and I thought that’s what our guys did.”

When TCU threatened a comeback, cutting the lead to single digits, Coleman started a Texas run of his own. He finished a beautiful reverse layup sandwiched by two 3-point makes to put Texas back up 14 with five minutes to go.

Ramey also had a hand in the waning moments of the game from the bench when freshman forward Greg Brown missed a windmill dunk in transition that his head coach thought was ill-advised.

“The only reason I left (Brown) in the game is because of Courtney,” Smart said. “I had a sub that I sent to the table, and Courtney was adamant that he stayed in. It’s important to listen to your leaders, and I thought Courtney did a great job leading all day, so we went with that.”

The Horned Frogs couldn’t keep up with the Longhorns’ barrage from behind the arc all night, as Texas shot 11-of-23. 

For Texas’ last 3-pointer, redshirt junior guard Andrew Jones knocked down a contested stepback 3-pointer with just under four minutes to go. It was the dagger shot that put the finishing touches on Sunday’s game.

The Longhorns ended the season 11-6 in conference play and third place in Big 12 regular season standings. Both marks are the highest Smart has finished in his tenure as a head coach at Texas.

In the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship, Texas will play the No. 6 seed, No. 18 Texas Tech, who swept the Longhorns in their two regular-season matches.

The two teams were slated to meet in last year’s Big 12 tournament before it was canceled. Now, they’ll meet Thursday with crucial NCAA tournament seeding on the line.

“You can take a deep breath a little bit,” Coleman said. “It’s a new season. I always say, ‘It’s a new life.’”