Best of zero-proof: refreshing Austin mocktails

Stephanie Jumper, General Life & Arts Reporter

In a city known for its lively nightlife scene, mocktails are a must-try for those seeking a refreshing alternative to alcoholic beverages. For sober sippers scouring for these unique drinks, The Daily Texan set out to find the best mocktails in the Austin area.

Glitter & Marigold from The Roosevelt Room

According to The Roosevelt Room’s website, their zero-proof drinks “will treat your senses without dulling them” — a claim that rings true with the Glitter and Marigold. This fruity and frothy drink tastes close to an Orange Julius with its vanilla and cream, as well as a touch of cinnamon to give it an autumnal warmth. The delicate but flavorful fusion of the fruit, cinnamon and vanilla flavors make the G&M worth the trip. 

Wasabi Bloody Mary from Hillside Farmacy

Nonalcoholic drinks can put creative twists on classic cocktails like a Bloody Mary, and the absence of alcohol doesn’t mean the drink can’t have a kick. After passing by Hillside Farmacy’s charming vintage wallpapers, stroll up to the bar and order a virgin wasabi Bloody Mary. Boasting a satisfying balance of spice, this veggie drink with a kick serves as an excellent alternative for those who lack a sweet tooth and want something a bit punchier.

Strawberry Basil Limeade from Lucky Lab

Just inventive enough to feel like an elegant treat, part of Lucky Lab’s fall lineup brings citrus flavors directly next to classes and dorms. While its flavor profile isn’t quite as complex as other mocktails, the drink balances sweet and citrus flavors beautifully.

Virgin Raspberry Mule from Salty Sow

Ordering Salty Sow’s raspberry mule may change perceptions of what a soft drink looks like. A mix of ginger beer and raspberry puree, the fruit’s pigment shines in this vibrantly colored drink. Visitors with a strong sweet tooth may be disappointed by how muted the sips of raspberry are, but the use of ginger beer, as opposed to its more popular cousin ginger ale, adds some complexity. A lime also sits on the glass, waiting for customers to squeeze its sour contents into the glass.