Stakeholders sue state of Texas over transition-related health care ban

Breyona Mitchell

Physicians and parents of transgender youth sued the state of Texas on July 12 in response to Senate Bill 14, a law banning transition-related health care for minors.

The new law, which goes into effect Sept. 1, bans treatments such as puberty blockers, hormone therapies and transition-related surgeries. Plaintiffs, including families and physicians, argue the law discriminates against transgender youth by prohibiting these treatments only to those using them to transition. Additionally, they argue the law violates parental rights by preventing them from providing medical care for their children.

“They are specifically saying it is not for trans kids but the practice can continue,” said Andrea Segovia, Senior Field & Policy Adviser with the Transgender Education Network of Texas. “To say that you can allow this to continue for cisgender kids who need blockers, or a whole list of things that they’ve prohibited, but it’s not okay for trans kids to use them is discriminatory based on somebody’s gender identity.”

Hector Dominguez-Ruvalcaba, professor of Latin American literature and cultures, who researches queer Latin American studies, said the ban is a frontal attack against the LGBTQ+ community.

“It suggests that those representatives who propose and vote these laws have an agenda against a big sector of Texas population,” Dominguez said. “Our legislature is clearly against fundamental aspects of our democracy, and people have the right and the force to stop those dictatorship intentions.”

According to Psychology Today, data shows that access to gender-affirming care is associated with better mental health outcomes while lack of access is associated with higher rates of depression, self-harming behavior and suicidality. However, some people distrust the opinions of medical associations and believe the government should intervene to stop children from getting treatments that can’t be undone or have allegedly possibly harmful side effects.

“They don’t care about the data,” Segovia said. “We actually hold the science and what you see happen from the opposition, and especially legislators who are putting on a show to get their reelection or get funding is them saying it’s not credible science.”

Governors from other states such as Utah and South Dakota already signed gender-affirming care bans into law. The outcome of the lawsuit, which was filed in Austin at a state district court, will impact the future of transgender people, their families and medical providers, Segovia said. 

“This is awakening a national debate. I think sexual and gender issues are a global concern and a major battle in the struggle for human rights,” said Dominguez. “If these laws banning rights of sexual and gender diversity prosper, the U.S. will be considered one of the biggest human rights violators in the world.”