Behind the scenes with The High Cost of Playing God

Leila Saidane
Paris Mygatt, vocals for The High Price Of Playing God, performs as third act of the Friday Rio Market show on Sep. 1, 2023.

A crowd gathered out front of the West Campus corner store, the Friendly Rio Market. A makeshift intermission of cigarettes, tallboys and pre-show banter stirred in anticipation outside the store for the night’s closer, The High Cost Of Playing God.

The local Austin band headlined a concert last Friday for the community built through the heavy metal DIY music scene. In order for the band’s ventures to go smoothly, extensive experience and hours of preparation go into the limited time the members take the stage.

Preparing for a show in the Texas heat starts a day or two before the gig, said Tim Hayward, guitarist and back up vocalist for THCOPG. For Hayward, he said he makes sure to stay thoroughly hydrated. 

“I start prepping (a) day or two before (a show), especially when we’re playing in the summer in Texas,” Hayward said. “I’m trying to drink 128 to 164 ounces of water a day trying to not pass the fuck out.” 

The day of the show, the band must move their gear from their practice space to the venue, Hayward said. For Friday’s show, THCOPG backlined, meaning they provided equipment including a PA system and drum kit for the out-of-city bands to use. 

“We’re the only Austin band, so we’re backlining everything for everyone,” Hayward said. “We brought a drum kit, bass cab, two guitar cabs, guitar amps, microphone, pedals, guitar cables … (but) the less gear we have to move, the better.”

Common complications at shows usually have to do with their gear, guitarist and UT alum Kyle Anderson said. He explained most problems come from guitar cables but recently, one of their  amps momentarily caught fire. Thankfully, they quickly extinguished the fire by unplugging the amp. 

“The worst thing you can hear is ‘Do you smell smoke?’” Anderson said.

For Anderson, the satisfaction of committing to a performance pays off in specific electrifying moments throughout a show.

“When you’re in the moment playing something and a part hits really well and a crowd really vibes (to it),” Anderson said. “There’s no greater feeling (than) … that reaction, that feedback that’s immediate.”

After the show, plans vary for each member and for the specific occasion. Anderson said jokingly lots of Hennessy would be in his post-show move, while bassist Nich Huft put sleep at the top of their list and vocalist Paris Mygatt described a calm night after a few hours of loud and intense music. 

“(I’ll) have a cold beer (and) watch some foreign flicks at home,” Mygatt said.

In the end, planning and throwing a successful DIY show, like The High Cost of Paying God’s at the Friendly Rio Market, takes a great deal of work. Despite the days of advanced preparation, learning hard lessons, anxiousness and more, Hayward says the outcome makes the effort worthwhile.

“We get here, then you’re anxious until you play. Then you play for 30 minutes or 20 minutes and it’s a highlight of your month,” Hayward said. “It makes all the practice and all that shit worth it.”