Olivia Rodrigo’s pop-rock sophomore album delivers tightened sound and powerful narrative

Courtesy of Geffen Records

The two-year wait for breakout star Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album is finally over. Following the wild success of her first album, SOUR, the stakes proved outlandishly high. Rodrigo meets anticipation with an authentic narrative and increasingly cohesive sound. 

“Vampire” kicked off the GUTS pre-album releases on June 30, and listeners received a solid single though a song seemingly constructed to mimic the elements of Rodrigo’s hit “driver’s license.” When “bad idea right?” released on Aug. 11, the song took on many components of “brutal,” another hit from SOUR. Working with the same producer Dan Nigro, who co-wrote and produced both SOUR and GUTS, a similar sound seemed natural. Sharing the classic Rodrigo angsty flair, the flavor of GUTS strays from its predecessor, carving its own path with newfound clarity in both sound and narrative. 

Throughout GUTS, Rodrigo’s writing style doesn’t waste time with excessive metaphors or flowery language. Lyrics don’t come in polished, palatable packages but rather concise phrases of pure, unadulterated emotion. The storytelling feels blunt yet descriptive, relatable while personal. 

Starting the album off strong with “all-american bitch,” the album quickly foreshadows the record’s pop-rock core. The first track makes for a perfect intro to Rodrigo’s teen-to-adult themes that she draws on for the remainder of the album. Alternating between melodically sweet verses and powerful choruses, Rodrigo details the inconsistencies and unattainability of meeting societal expectations for women. Known for her powerful bridges, the bridge of “all-american bitch” doesn’t disappoint with “I don’t get angry when I’m pissed / I’m the eternal optimist / I scream inside to deal with it,” a sentiment many women experience. 

The rest of the album bounces between upbeat and ballads with the punchy pace of songs like “ballad of a homeschooled girl,” “love is embarrassing” and “get him back!” juxtaposing the smooth lamentations of “lacy,” “making the bed,” “logical,” “the grudge” and “pretty isn’t pretty.” 

The 12th and final track, “teenage dream,” sums up the heart of the album in one last piano ballad. A reference to the notable line in “brutal,” asking “where’s my fucking teenage dream?” Rodrigo continues the concept to complete the album. Age encapsulates a prominent theme, expressing Rodrigo’s constant limbo of feeling too young for one thing but too old for another. The opening line, “When am I gonna stop being wise beyond my years and just start being wise?” sets the tone for a song challenging the cliches of growing up. 

GUTS oscillates between bratty anthems and emotive ballads, authentically encapsulating the awkward journey between adolescence and adulthood. 

3 ½  puff pastries out of 5