The Daily Texan’s playlist to welcome autumn

Welcoming brisk autumn winds feel easier than ever after enduring one of Texas’ hottest summers yet. In preparation for the comeback of sweaters, hot drinks and comfortable walks, The Daily Texan curated a playlist to emulate the emotions associated with this highly-anticipated season. 

“Thanksgiving in Sacramento” by Jon Brion

From the score of coming-of-age film “Ladybird,” Jon Brion wraps listeners in a blanket of familiarity and warmth. With strong woodwinds accompanied by a subtle string progression, this instrumental track encapsulates the feeling of walking through the autumn winds of one’s hometown. 

“Bambi” by Clairo

Touching on the difficulty of transitions, Clairo’s track bodes well with the departure of summer and the reluctant acceptance of the fall semester. With layered vocals complimented by refined instrumentals, Clairo creates an intimacy between herself and the listener, leaving a sense of reassuring comfort for the coming season and the troubles one dwells over. 

“cowboy like me” by Taylor Swift 

Swift’s country-tinged track depicts a Western film set in autumn — a story full of love and tragedy told by calm vocals and an understated melody, screened within the minds of listeners. Equal parts enticing and devastating, the track makes for a perfect song to perch upon one’s window and watch autumn leaves drift to and fro. 

“Hey, That’s No Way to Say Goodbye” by Leonard Cohen 

Cohen’s profound lyrics paired with the soft guitar strumming produces a perfect tune for an autumn stroll. Extremely vulnerable and beautifully simplistic, Cohen serenades listeners with complete tenderness, akin to the feeling of walking through autumn winds. 

“Yuki Onna” by Adrianne Lenker and Buck Meek 

Weaving in themes of folklore and adopting a folksy tune, Lenker and Meek’s gentle vocals come together to create an utterly reminiscent feel. Their cute and familiar tune mimics the feeling of telling stories around a campfire with loved ones, surrounded by heaps of autumn leaves. 

“This House” by Japanese Breakfast 

The opening strums of Japanese Breakfast’s song set the stage for a gradual progression of singer Michelle Zauner’s vocals, and a poetic piano following suit. Vocalizing the nostalgia tied to one’s youth and the warmth of innocence, the band’s track stirs the most pertinent emotions of this season.