Movies, TV from the past year worth watching this Hispanic Heritage Month

Elizabeth Aguilar-Garcia

When thinking of movies to watch during Hispanic Heritage Month, it can be hard not to think of classics such as “Frida,” “Pan’s Labyrinth” or “Selena.” The Daily Texan compiled a list of movies released in the last year that feature notable Hispanic leads to add to any watchlist.

“A Million Miles Away”

Released at the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month, “A Million Miles Away” tells the true story of migrant farmworker José Hernández (Michael Peña) who went from a childhood of harvests in Mexico and California to outer space. The movie focuses on Hernández’s journey to becoming an astronaut, during which he faces many obstacles but chooses to never lose hope. 

“Blue Beetle”

Released in theaters in August, “Blue Beetle” stands out from other DC movies due to its lighthearted action-adventure nature compared to some of the darker, more dramatic superhero stories more common in the DC Extended Universe. The film marks DC’s first Latinx-led movie, following protagonist Jaime Reyes (Xolo Maridueña) who unexpectedly becomes the Blue Beetle. The story focuses less on his heroic adventures or any superhero battle, instead opting to explore Jaime’s strong relationship with his family and how they overcome their obstacles together.

“Transformers: Rise of the Beasts”

This June, the latest addition to the “Transformers” franchise, “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts,” excited fans with the chance to see the beloved Autobots on the big screen once again, this time alongside Noah Diaz (Anthony Ramos). Set in the 90’s, Ramos and the rest of the cast delivered the franchise’s traditional dose of sci-fi action mixed with warm-heartedness, while the Autobots and their new friends struggle to protect Earth from destruction.

“Bardo, False Chronicles of a Handful of Truths”

“Bardo, False Chronicles of a Handful of Truths,” a Mexican psycho-drama-comedy, came out in November 2022. The movie tells the story of journalist and documentarian Silverio (Daniel Giménez Cacho) who struggles throughout the movie to come to terms with the hardships he faced throughout his life. Filled with surrealism and beautifully filmed drama, the movie ends with a twist that keeps audiences confused and intrigued. 

“Wednesday”

Though a Netflix series rather than a movie, “Wednesday” won over the hearts and TikTok feeds of its viewers back in November. The series follows a cynical Wednesday Addams (Jenna Ortega) as she finds her place and takes on the dangers of her new boarding school. Ortega’s performance received praise both for her acting skills and for being the first fully Latina actress to portray Wednesday after the original show’s history of overlooking the Addams’ speculated Hispanic roots.