Players from 2023 men’s basketball team make professional transitions

Julius Shieh

Texas has been a sneaky producer of NBA talent for decades now, with 13 active Longhorns ready to start or continue their professional campaigns during this week’s preseason.

Last season culminated in an Elite Eight appearance, the furthest Texas run since the Final Four team two decades prior. Of last year’s historic group, three tested the NBA waters over the summer: guard Marcus Carr, forward Timmy Allen and guard Sir’Jabari Rice. Though none of them were drafted, all three secured NBA Summer League contracts with the Suns, Grizzlies and Spurs, respectively.

Carr, who initially declared for the 2020 NBA draft, decided to not only return to college, but to transfer to Texas from Minnesota for his senior and fifth year where he led the team in scoring last season and was named to the All-Big 12 first team. Carr signed a summer league deal with the Phoenix Suns in hopes of showcasing his skills and eventually teaming up with Texas product and legend Kevin Durant, whose visit to the Forty Acres last summer “inspired” him  and the group, per Texas head coach Rodney Terry. 

For now, the guard’s professional journey will be with Aris Thessaloniki of the Greek Basket League.

Allen, the versatile, five-year experienced forward was a stat stuffer in his third and final season with Texas, leading the team in rebounding, second in assists and steals and third in blocks and scoring. Allen signed a summer league contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, an already young and accomplished team — meaning Allen’s work was cut out for him. 

Though Allen is not currently listed on the Grizzlies training camp roster, there is a possibility his services will be sought after in the G League.

Finally, the man with college basketball’s most elusive pump fake stays in-state and in-city, at times. Rice signed a two-way contract with the San Antonio Spurs and their Austin G League affiliate. Rice transferred to Texas as a graduate student last year, earning Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year and All-Big 12 third team nods with 13 points, 3.5 rebounds and two assists a contest. 

Terry was one of the first to link Rice’s mixture of desire and talent as the perfect storm to make it to the league.

“He’s one of those guys that from the first day of practice he just makes everyone else around him better,” Terry told Steve Habel of Inside Texas in May. “He’s a great teammate. He’s a highly competitive kid, and he got better and better as the season went along. Don’t be surprised if you look up next year and he’s on an NBA roster.” 

Terry proved correct a year later, and Rice joined a young Spurs roster with ample opportunity to contribute immediately.

Rice and the Spurs are slated to debut their preseason Monday from Oklahoma City at 7 p.m.