I want to play a game — ranking all 10 ‘Saw’ movies

Breyona Mitchell

Calling the “Saw” franchise legendary fails to do it justice. With the recent release of “Saw X,” the story gains an increased relevance with a younger demographic. In honor of Friday the 13th, The Daily Texan decided to play a game and rank all 10 “Saw” movies.

1. Spiral (2021)

With a star studded cast, “Spiral” harbored a lot of potential, yet it feels disconnected from the rest of the franchise. Lacking continuity with the other films, Jigsaw fails to deliver the strikingly eerie performance that tracks with the other films, leaving viewers unsatisfied.

1. Jigsaw (2017)

“Jigsaw” returns to “Saw’s” original style of puzzles and tests, appreciating the individuality that set the franchise apart during its debut. However, the film unravels major timeline inconsistencies by attempting to simultaneously portray Jigsaw’s first puzzle while also trying to one-up more than a decade of previous films.

1. Saw 3D (2010)

With two main plotlines, “Saw 3D” presents an action-packed story. Audience members dive into the backstory of previous characters in addition to meeting someone who repeatedly exploits Jigsaw’s story for personal gain. While discombobulated at times, this film remains enjoyable.

1. Saw III (2006)

“Saw III” disregards the elements that make the franchise so special and instead focuses on including as much gore as possible. This ultimately makes the film less effective than the first two installments. Although the inconsistencies within the puzzles get resolved in the last few minutes, “Saw III” strays too far away from the franchise’s celebrated plot structure.

1. Saw VI (2009)

“Saw VI” draws on many original “Saw” elements, but presents them in a way that resonates well with viewers. However, the timeline becomes convoluted at times. Similar to “Saw V,” viewers appreciate this movie in sequence, rather than on its own.

1. Saw V (2008)

“Saw V” takes on a prequel role, allowing viewers to further understand Jigsaw’s backstory and how he executed his games in the previous movies. Although “Saw V” contains new plot points, this installment serves as a connecting piece for the other movies and benefits from a marathon viewing rather than standing alone.

1. Saw IV (2007)

“Saw IV” continues the franchise’s use of previous installments’ unimportant characters and making them the newest film’s focal point. “Saw IV” follows Officer Rigg, a minor character in “Saw II” and “Saw III,” through various tests, as the audience learns the role he played in his previous appearances. Additionally, plots from earlier movies wrap up, and in true “Saw” fashion, more plot unravels. 

1. Saw II (2005)

“Saw II” answered a tall order, immediately following the debut film’s major success. This sequel follows a more conventional horror film approach, in which a group of strangers get trapped in a house rigged with various installments of Jigsaw’s games. The second film carried on the tradition of a shocking last five minutes; however, it couldn’t recreate the magic of its predecessor.

1. Saw X (2023)

Perhaps the most stunning “Saw” sequel, “Saw X” successfully combines the mystery, gore and emotion that gives the franchise its merit. Fans rejoiced at the film’s easter eggs and callbacks that created a thrilling plot with an incredible pace and script.

1. Saw (2004)

The debut film for the “Saw” franchise earns its classic title with every rewatch. “Saw’s” framework altered what a horror movie entails, leaving viewers engrossed in this iconic psychological thriller. “Saw” follows Adam and Dr. Lawrence Gordon as they attempt to work together to escape Jigsaw’s latest puzzle, which preys on the flaws of their humanity. The final scene leaves viewers shocked, premiering the series’ memorable twist endings.