Director Nahnatchka Khan breaks down her comedy-slasher movie entitled ‘Totally Killer’

Courtesy of Amazon Studios

The Daily Texan took the opportunity to sit down with Nahnatchka Khan, director of the time traveling comedy-slasher “Totally Killer.” She discussed her work on the film, the process of melding comedy with horror and what she plans to do now that writers’ strikes are slowly coming to an end.

The Daily Texan: What pieces of media did you draw on in directing “Totally Killer?”

Nahnatchka Khan: Outside of “Back to the Future,” (I used) John Hughes’ 80s movies for a lot of stuff. “Heathers” was a reference; “Scream” was a reference, just for the madness of it. In some of the action sequences, the first big kill especially, I looked at “Atomic Blonde” for the way that it was shot and the intimacy of those moments.

DT: Compared to other projects you’ve done, how would you say “Totally Killer” differs?

NK: It’s the first slasher I’ve done. I’ve done exclusively comedy up until this point, and it was really interesting to be able to work with the stunt team and do practical effects — blood, wire work and all that stuff. (It was also about) understanding the difference between the rhythms of comedy versus horror. Comedy (has) a rhythm to the scenes (and jokes). Then, horror, where you think the scare is going to come, it doesn’t come and either comes before it or after it. The rhythms of the (genres are different, so) having those two things combined was fun and new for me.

DT: Were there any moments where someone said something on set that wasn’t in the script and y’all decided to keep it in?

NK: Oh, always! Especially when you’re working with such a great cast. We’ll do takes as scripted, then, we have (ad libbed) jokes. There were so many times where they were riffing, and we’re like, “That’s great! Let’s keep that, let’s do that again!” Keeping it loose and creative is also really important.

DT: What was your favorite scene to direct?

NK: The waterbed sequence was a really fun one. (Or scenes where) you have a killer chasing one person, and then another person comes, and then another person comes (and it gets chaotic). The Gravitron at the end was (also) really fun to shoot, and that was a practical (set piece). It took us three days to shoot, and you’re just like, “Oh my god, I gotta get out of here!”

DT: What project is next for you, and do you think you’ll do horror again?

NK: Well, the writer’s strike is over. (SAG-AFTRA) is going back to the table (soon), which is great. So, hopefully, they’ll be right behind us. So, it could be like a TV thing, it could be another feature; it just depends (on) which project surfaces. I would (work in the horror genre again), it was such a blast. Everything I do will always have a streak of comedy later, but there’s something about the demonic possession world that could be fun. (“Totally Killer”) is (about) a real person (as the killer since it’s a) slasher, but there’s something about the supernatural that I would be interested in.

DT: What advice would you give students looking to write or direct films?

NK: Definitely just make or write stuff. There’s a lot of platforms that you can use to post your stuff and get yourself out there in whatever way makes the most sense. (Don’t) wait for permission from anybody. If you’ve got an idea, you’ve got a short you want to shoot, you’ve got a script you want to write, just write it, make it.