Moody graduate tackles music industry with personal, original music

Roberto Ramirez
Moody College of Communication Public Relations graduate Abby Nelson begins to perform her unreleased song title, “Eternity starts in Chicago” at Andrews Residence Hall on Oct. 16, 2023.

Growing up around music, Moody public relations graduate Abby Nelson knew from a young age that songwriting would be her passion.

While at UT, Nelson, who graduated in spring 2023, said she found inspiration through stories she read in class.

“One time, we had a guest speaker in one of my classes who had written a Pulitzer Prize-winning piece,” Nelson said. “I wrote a song called ‘Helicopter,’ which has not been released, but I was really proud of it. The metaphor ‘helicopter’ came from an innuendo in the piece.” 

Abby’s mother, Randa Nelson, encouraged her to pursue her dreams early on. 

“(I said) ‘I’ll give you 20 bucks if you go up and ask the worship leader if you could audition for something,’” Randa said. “And then one thing leads to the next, and then she really wanted to record and she had all these songs written.”

Even now, as a professional recording artist with the knowledge she gained throughout her PR education, Nelson said she still finds it intimidating to promote herself.

“It’s been interesting because I understand how to represent other things,” Nelson said. “When it comes to doing PR and promotion for myself, it feels so different — so vulnerable (and) scary … It’s been a challenge to keep my confidence and understand that sometimes (a song) won’t hit the right chord with someone.”

As she prepares to put her music out into the world, Nelson said the friends she made at UT continue to stick by her side. Sarah Foster, who Nelson met through Ignite Texas, a Christian organization on the Forty Acres, helps by photographing the cover art for her songs.

“It’s fun to feel like I’m in it with her a little bit. I do graduation portraits and weddings, which I absolutely love, but it’s fun to do something different and creative,” Foster said. “(In Ignite), Abby was very much taking ownership of her love for music and using it to create an experience for everybody else.” 

Nelson showcases her songwriting skills with her most recent song, “Museum.” The track takes on a creative lens through tongue-in-cheek lyricism. 

“‘Museum’ is a fun commentary on realizing someone doesn’t really like you for you. They just like the idea of you and it’s the realization, but it’s not an angry one or a sad one. It’s just a matter of fact,” Nelson said.

After listening, Randa said “Museum” became her favorite song of Abby’s, which ultimately pushed her to release the song.

Nelson’s close relationship with her parents even inspired her to write about them. She will release a song, “Eternity Starts in Chicago,” in November, chronicling her parents’ lives together. 

“She sang it, recorded it and surprised us on our anniversary last year,” Randa said. “It just makes me emotional. It touches me.”

Songs like these, which previously remained in Nelson’s song vault, will soon come to life.

“(I love) seeing songs that I’ve written for years now finally getting to have legs of their own and getting to see (them) become a real finished product,” Nelson said. “That’s just such a rewarding feeling.”