Keys to the Game: TCU

Andrew Torrey

TCU is not the same football team that beat Texas 17-10 last season. 

The Frogs lost eight of their starters to the NFL Draft. Five current offensive starters are injured, including TCU junior quarterback Chandler Morris. And they currently hold a 4–5 record after losing four out of their last five matchups.  

However, with Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers set to return to the field after injury, the game has the potential to be a showdown between a recovering Ewers and TCU’s Josh Hoover. 

Here are the key elements of gameplay that Texas needs to capitalize on in order to win the last game they will play at Amon G. Carter Stadium for a while. 

Dominate the line of scrimmage

The Texas defensive line needs to put pressure on the rookie quarterback. Hoover’s comfort zone is in the pocket, so if the Longhorns’ defensive line can get past the Frogs’ offensive line, he is likely to get rattled and throw into double coverage. 

Although Hoover threw well against BYU, his confidence was shaken by a 41-3 loss to Kansas State, throwing three interceptions and only one touchdown in the past two games. 

The game against Texas Tech didn’t help his confidence; Hoover had a chance to send the game into overtime but instead threw an interception to give the Red Raiders a win. 

Getting past TCU’s offensive line won’t be easy though. With the fifth-best tackle in the nation, Andrew Coker, the offensive line has only allowed for 14 sacks this season. 

Limit the run game

To put even more pressure on the rookie quarterback, Texas defense needs to make passing plays the only option for the TCU offense. By limiting the run game like Texas did against Kansas State, Hoover will be forced to throw the ball downfield, creating opportunities for interception. 

TCU hasn’t been calling run plays as often. However, when they are able to get the ball to leading junior running back Emani Bailey, he is able to move the ball up the field in smaller increments, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. 

More recently, against Texas Tech, Bailey scored two touchdowns. 

The Texas defense needs to ensure that TCU’s running plays don’t work, so they aren’t able to build momentum off of the plays. 

Block out pressure from the environment

Amon G. Carter Stadium will be loud and distracting, but Texas cannot afford to be distracted and make mistakes, even to an opponent that they are expected to beat. 

Last week’s game against Kansas State is a prime example; Texas made mistakes, allowing the other team to come back and get a chance to win the game. 

If Ewers is playing, turnovers may not be as big of an issue, but Ewers will be coming back from an injury, so he may not be as mentally focused.