‘The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’ illustrates Snow’s journey to head gamemaker

Courtesy of Lionsgate

Based on Suzanne Collins’ prequel to her esteemed “Hunger Games” trilogy, “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” set during the 10th annual Hunger Games, follows 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth). The film examines his mentorship to District 12 tribute Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler), his occupancy as a peacekeeper and ultimately his journey to becoming a gamemaker and president of Panem.

Returning director Francis Lawrence seemed to focus the story less on the games and the districts, opting to pay more attention to the Capital and behind-the-scenes of game making. Similar to the original films, the cinematography captures the darkness of the districts while juxtaposing it with the privilege of the elite in Panem. The fashion in this film parallels the original franchise — it proves less gaudy, orienting the audience in an older time while still making clear the distinctions in class. 

Another parallel in the film comes in the form of Snow’s relationship with Lucy Gray and how it mirrors his eventual relationship with Katniss. The two sets of relationships begin and end with a girl he couldn’t control. This theme gives an explanation to Snow’s motivations throughout the original franchise, making viewers want to watch the movies all over again. 

The film features remarkable performances from Peter Dinklage as Casca Highbottom and Viola Davis as Dr. Gaul. However, the timely comedic relief from The Hunger Games host, Lucky Flickerman (Jason Schwartzman), steals the show.

Previously, Collins has read her books with a Southern accent. Despite the lack of accents in previous franchise films, Zegler attempts a deep southern accent, which comes across as inconsistent and off-putting. Regardless of the spotty accent, Zegler’s enchanting live on-set performances, including “The Hanging Tree,” create a sense of authenticity, solidifying her as the perfect Lucy Gray.

Although President Snow serves as the antagonist of the original series, “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” cultivates Coriolanus Snow’s character through a new perspective, leaving the audience torn between rooting for and disliking him. Despite a brief inconsistency with its accents, the film creates parallels within itself and the original trilogy, displays symbolism through costume design and leaves longtime fans engaged and content. Ultimately, this highly anticipated prequel successfully lives up to its predecessors.

4 1/2 mockingjays out of 5