‘Scott Pilgrim Takes Off’ enacts a shocking twist fans didn’t know they needed

Remedy Entertainment

This review contains spoilers for Netflix’s “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.”

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” may be one of the most popular pieces of media among college students and younger audiences, so an animated series based on the artwork of the original comic series in the style of Edgar Wright’s live-action film seemed all but certain to happen at some point. That’s when Netflix decided to release “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.”

“Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” takes a major shift from both its comic and movie source material right in the opening episode. Fans of the series will be shocked at the direction the show takes, but will grow to love it sometimes even more than the originals. While the new story direction doesn’t always land, it makes for an intriguing watch that validates the show’s existence rather than it just being another adaptation of the source material.

That being said, the marketing surrounding the show will hinder the initial viewing experience of both new and old fans. The trailers make it seem as though the show will remain faithful to the original story, but as previously stated, the major twist during the first episode makes the second and third episodes feel strange. Fortunately, by the time viewers get to the fourth episode, they will be fully entranced once again in the world of Scott Pilgrim. On a second watch — or if the advertising had been more honest — the twist would have been more widely accepted.

Still, the change from the source material makes “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” a must-watch. Audiences spend significantly more time with characters like Ramona and Julie, giving them more time to shine than the original movie did. The seven evil exes also get more screen time in this rendition, which will have audiences laughing, but also feeling sympathetic at times. The best way to describe the direction the narrative of “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” takes would be “the butterfly effect.” One change in the opening episode alters the course of the entire story.

Art direction has always been stunning to behold, and that’s no different in this retelling. The energy and character designs perfectly blend the visual aesthetic of the comics with the framing of Wright’s style. The only flaw in the art direction comes in the characters’ movements. At times, the people feel slow despite the art style being peppy and silly. It takes a second to get used to, but doesn’t hinder the viewing experience.

Rock and roll permeates every inch of the Scott Pilgrim IP. Pop band Anamanaguchi wrote the score, marking their return to the “Scott Pilgrim” franchise after they wrote the music for the video game adaptation of the movie. Their music will stay stuck in audiences’ heads long after the credits roll.

“Scott Pilgrim Takes Off” welcomes fans back into the universe of Scott Pilgrim in a spectacular fashion. The show caters more to fans than newcomers, but there’s a lot to love from both perspectives. The show takes an approach to the story never seen before thanks to an expertly crafted twist that’ll leave fans floored and excited to binge the rest of the series. While it may not be exactly what fans hoped for, most will find it exactly what they needed to be hooked on the beloved IP once again.

4 ½ evil exes out of 5