Music-service group Healing with Harmonies impacts community with meaningful performances

Courtesy of Sarah Tran

As a rendition of ABBA’s “Dancing Queen” reverberated through the nursing home, residents clapped and sang along to the classic disco tune. Students playing a myriad of band and orchestra instruments backed up student vocalists as the group showcased their talents to a sprightly audience.

Healing with Harmonies combines music with service as an avenue to bring happiness to the community. The group, which consists of instrumentalists and vocalists from all skill levels, performs at UT and various places around Austin, such as nursing homes, children’s hospitals and settlement homes. Each set varies, hoping to cater to each unique audience.

“For the older folks at the nursing homes, we play a lot of Beatles music because that’s the type of music they are familiar with,” said Sarah Tran, Healing with Harmonies president and chemistry senior. “Whereas for children at hospitals or settlement homes, we like to go through pop music.”

Students with musical backgrounds gain the opportunity to repurpose their talents for a creative outlet. Jasmine Yuan, biology junior and Healing with Harmonies philanthropy vice president, said the organization reignited her passion for music after experiencing burnout from high school orchestra.

“A lot of stress and emphasis were placed on perfection (in high school). It was stressful for me, and I didn’t find it fun anymore,” Yuan said. “(Healing with Harmonies) helped me reconnect with music and share my passion (for) music with others.”

Tran said Healing with Harmonies makes for a completely different environment from high school due to the lack of competitiveness. 

“In high school, you have positioned chairs and you have tests where everyone’s competing against each other,” Tran said. “Whereas in this organization, we don’t assign chair positions. You just go wherever you’d like to go.”

Linus Zheng, a computer science junior and Healing with Harmonies fundraising team member, said he grew up playing piano but joined the group as a vocalist to refine his voice.

“I was really able to improve my singing by hearing the other talented people sing along,” Zheng said. “It’s been a journey for me too.”

A two-hour rehearsal precedes every concert, beginning with separate practices for instrumentalists and vocalists. The two then combine and run through the whole program. Healing with Harmonies distinguishes itself from other music groups by focusing less on perfection and more on the emotional reactions of their listeners.

“We want to spread joy and happiness to our audiences,” Tran said. “If our audience hears one or two mistakes, it’s not the end of the world.”

Listeners engage with the music by singing along, mouthing the words or swaying in their seats. Additionally, audience members have vocalized their positive reactions to the group’s performances.

“One of my most prominent memories was when we played at a children’s home and one of the kids said that we belonged on ‘(America’s Got Talent),’” Yuan said.

Zheng said hearing live music is a nice feeling and being a part of the group gives him a unique way to contribute to the community.

“Being able to go to these performances and see how happy it makes the seniors and the children feel is an honor,” Zheng said. “(Music) will remind them of happy memories and revitalize them.”