No. 3/3 Texas softball defeats No. 2 Tennessee 2-1

Daniel Deluna

The last time Texas softball faced Tennessee was in the 2023 NCAA Super Regionals. Tennessee won the series, ending the Longhorns’ season.

This year the Longhorns were back with redemption in mind — and they got it.

After starting off the game strong with two runs in the first two innings, Texas’ strong defense and pitching staff held off Tennessee to take the game 2-1. 

In the first inning, Texas got its momentum rolling quickly. After two ground outs, one single and a strikeout, Tennessee was quickly out in the outfield. 

The first Longhorn up to bat was senior outfielder Bella Dayton, who singled out to left field. While the next two batters were thrown out, they were responsible for getting Dayton to third.

Then sophomore catcher Reese Atwood stepped up to the plate. Keeping calm despite the two outs on the board, Atwood looked to the mound. With a crack, Atwood hit the ball into right field. Atwood made it to second base and allowed Dayton to score. 

Atwood was a star last weekend in California, being named both Big 12 Conference and NFCA Player of the Week for her performance. She led the Big 12 in hits, RBIs, total bases and slugging percentage. 

The Longhorns looked to continue their success in the second inning. Texas’ defense was able to shine as a double play from shortstop Viviana Martinez to first baseman Leighann Goode ended the top of the inning. The double play was the only one made by either team all game.

When the Longhorns began to bat, they kept their composure. A strikeout and ground out started off the inning quickly, but the Texas lineup was still able to get a run on the board. 

Freshman outfielder Kayden Henry bunted the ball, getting to first base. Then, Tennessee’s pitcher, Karlyn Pickens, started to struggle. 

Redshirt sophomore outfielder Ashton Maloney walked and then both runners advanced on a wild pitch. With an error by the shortstop, Henry was able to make it to home plate. 

After the second inning, Texas was unable to capitalize on their opportunities to score.

Tennessee scored at the top of the fourth, putting additional pressure on Texas. 

The pitching staff and Texas defense held the Vols scoreless for the rest of the game. Throwing a strike percentage of 71.7%, sophomore pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez held the Vols off.

Moving from the Golden State to the Sunshine State, Texas kept its winning streak alive. It has four more games before the end of the Shriners Children’s Clearwater Invitational.

The Longhorns play North Carolina and No. 18/18 Kentucky on Saturday. A matchup against No. 22/RV Northwestern on Sunday ends the tournament for the Longhorns.