Counting down the Texan’s 5 most anticipated SXSW films

With South by Southwest around the corner, it’s time to round up The Daily Texan’s top five films to watch at this year’s festival. With entries ranging from action-packed dramas to Gen Z supernatural horror, there’s something for everyone at SXSW 2024.

#5 – “Road House”

This movie might be one to catch simply based on its controversies on the alleged use of AI and the release being pulled from its theatrical run alone. Nothing is better than drama surrounding a drama film. Based on the 1989 film of the same name, Doug Liman’s “Road House” follows Elwood Dalton, an ex-UFC fighter played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who becomes a bouncer for a Florida Keys roadhouse when he begins to learn that there may be trouble in paradise.

#4 – “Civil War”

Writer and director of “Annihilation” and “Men,” Alex Garland, returns to the big screen, this time showcasing his huge action film made alongside A24. Starring Kirsten Dunst, the film follows a group of journalists in the U.S. as a Civil War breaks out and citizens everywhere must fend for themselves. It’s a film built around warning viewers of the direction America is heading, so what’s better than experiencing existential dread during a gun-heavy action flick?

#3 – “The Fall Guy”

David Leitch’s “The Fall Guy” stars everyone’s favorite Ken, Ryan Gosling, as Hollywood stuntman Colt Seavers. After leaving the stunt industry for his physical and mental health, Seavers gets whisked back into the world of action after a film directed by his ex (Emily Blunt) needs someone to find the film’s missing star.

#2 – “I Saw the TV Glow”

“We’re All Going to the World’s Fair” director Jane Schoenbrun’s newest endeavor follows two teenagers as they bond over their love for a supernatural TV show before it gets mysteriously shut down. The film only has one trailer out and not much of the story has been revealed, but Schoenbrun’s understanding of Gen Z and fantastic directing skills as showcased in “We’re All Going to the World’s Fair” makes this a worthy addition to any schedule.

#1 – “Monkey Man”

Director, writer and star Dev Patel has crafted arguably the most exciting movie showcasing at SXSW this year. Produced by Jordan Peele, the film follows Patel’s character as he goes on a John Wick-esque revenge spree to kill the people who murdered his mother. The film promises action-packed fun and looks like it may be one of the best movies of 2024.