No. 2/1 Texas softball beats No. RV/24 Baylor in alumni game

Sophomore+Viviana+Martinez+and+freshman+Kayden+Henry+reach+for+ball+during+game+against+Oklahoma+on+Friday.+
Sophie Pascal
Sophomore Viviana Martinez and freshman Kayden Henry reach for ball during game against Oklahoma on Friday.

With 47 Texas softball alumni in the stands, No. 2/1 Texas softball defeated No. RV/24 Baylor 9-6 after battling back and forth for runs. 

Before the game started, former catcher Jacqueline Williams, now Jacqueline Sterling, caught up with former teammate Desiree Williams. 

“I was just telling Desiree (Williams) how jealous I am of the facilities and everything they have,” Sterling said. “It’s just amazing how the sport has changed and grown.”

Playing at Texas between 2003 and 2007, Sterling may not have had the same facilities as the current Texas team, but she does share experience on a highly-ranked team and knows what the current Longhorns may be going through. 

“We were number one when I was in school at one point and it’s pressure,” Sterling said when asked to give advice to the team. “But just stay in their game and stay confident because they’re number one for a reason.”

Senior infielder Alyssa Washington was excited to show the alumni what the current Texas softball team was made out of. 

“Them being here, we’re ranked number one, I feel like it was a great environment and a great opportunity to play for them,” Washington said. “They worked so hard and did everything for us beforehand.”

And Texas took advantage of a great opportunity, getting runs on the board in every inning except for the second.  

The game started quickly. Baylor put up three runs on the board before starting pitcher sophomore Citlaly Gutierrez had a chance to lock in. 

However, the Longhorns didn’t let them stay ahead for very long. In the bottom of the first inning, Texas responded with a three-run bottom half.

“Our response was tremendous,” head coach Mike White said. “To come out and score three runs straight away and basically make it a 0-0 game.”

Texas found themselves in a dangerous position again in the second inning with bases loaded and no outs, but senior pitcher Estelle Czech stopped Baylor. 

“We cannot get down, we’ve got to believe in ourselves,” White said. “We need someone to step up.” 

Two sophomores, catcher Reese Atwood and shortstop Viviana Martinez, took that responsibility this game, getting six hits between the two of them. 

Senior outfielder Bella Dayton also helped extend the Longhorn’s lead, rocketing a ball over the wall for a solo home run on the first pitch. 

After Baylor responded in the sixth inning with a solo home run, Washington stepped up to the plate just a half inning later. 

“I’m kind of resetting because, in the past few games, I haven’t been myself,” Washington said. “I was looking for my pitch and knowing in the back of my head that she throws change.”

Washington hit a solo home run to left field, bringing the final score to 9-6. 

The Longhorns look to finish the series strong tomorrow at 1 p.m. CT.