Fine fare, couture shine at Fashion Week

Saturday marks the beginning of Austin Fashion Week, a celebration of all things chic, from couture fashion and designer pasties to hair and makeup styles. A kickoff celebration will be held at GSD&M Idea City, and the Austin Fashion Awards will presented Saturday, Aug. 21.

This year’s fashion week will bring in “Project Runway” contestant and Dallas designer Louise Black, and the award ceremony will feature the show’s season-two winner Chloe Dao, New York designer Betsey Johnson and Robert Stock for Robert Graham. Tickets for both the kickoff and awards ceremony start at $100. For the typical college student, the week has more than 100 events, many of which are free.

Bollywood Nights

Whether you only know “Jai Ho” from “Slumdog Millionaire” or you’ve memorized all the songs from “Once Upon a Time in Mumbai,” you’ll find something at Bollywood Nights — a celebration of Southeast Asian fashion with music and cocktails — at José Luis Salon on Monday from 7-9 p.m.

Cupcakes, Cocktails, Makeovers & Fashion

Munch on some snacks from the cupcake bar while you get you get a makeover and sip on some cocktails. It’s just that simple. The event will be held at Lovely Austin Boutique on Wednesday from 4-7 p.m.

Lingerie, Jewelry and Naked Sushi

Popularized in Japan by businessmen, naked sushi is where a model lies on a table and is covered in sushi. Three models will be displaying Teddies for Bettys’ sexy and basic bridal designs with sake sangria or wine to complement the food. The festivities will take place at Teddies for Bettys all day Wednesday.

A State of Fashion

This will be one of the biggest events this year, with 37 designers across Texas showing off their designs on the south steps of the Capitol. The actual fashion show will start at 7 p.m. on Thursday, but the event officially kicks off at 6 p.m.