Green Bay leads the pack

The cheers of Packers supporters rang through Jester West on Sunday as football fans celebrated the Super Bowl win.

As Arlington hosted Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium, which opened in 2009, Longhorns divided themselves into Steelers and Packers fans Sunday with watch parties on and off campus to celebrate the football game. Jester West held a watch party in the front lounge, and establishments around West Campus — including Pluckers, Cain & Abel’s and Cuatros — broadcast the game on big screen televisions.

Government junior Ricardo Capuano said the majority of football fans at UT are Packers supporters. Capuano, who grew up in Mexico City, rooted for the Steelers at Pluckers.

“I went to a game long, long ago in Mexico City where the [Dallas] Cowboys played against the Steelers, and the Steelers won,” he said. “I picked the Steelers. I have no connection to Pennsylvania or Pittsburgh.”

Pre-journalism sophomore Luke Winkie watched the Super Bowl with Capuano at Pluckers. Winkie watched his first Super Bowl in 2002, when the New England Patriots won against the St. Louis Rams.

“I remember vividly watching the halftime show where Bono came out with the American flag on the inside of his jacket,” he said. “It was right after 9/11, so patriotism was really high and watching Bono pull out this American flag while he was doing ‘With or Without You’ or something is burned into my skull.”

Another component of the Super Bowl’s entertainment value is its commercials, which are some of the most highly ranked on the Nielsen Rating scale, a scale that determines commercials’ audience size and composition, according to nielsen.com. According to a 2010 survey of 25,000 households, 51 percent of viewers preferred the commercials to the actual Super Bowl.

“This year, the Doritos one where he resurrects his grandpa was pretty good,” he said. “The commercials are a part of the Super Bowl culture.”

The Black Eyed Peas, along with four North Texas high-school drill teams, performed in a Tron-themed halftime show, said studio art sophomore Iva Kinnaird, whose little sister performed in the show.

“She got to be in the halftime show with the Black Eyed Peas, which is really cool,” she said. “They wore light-up suits that change color and stuff. You know how at the Olympics in Beijing, they had the suits that changed colors? The costumes are kind of like that.”

The Packer’s came out on top with a 31-25 victory, and the win was not surprising, said pre-journalism freshman Chelsea Norcom.

“I was a little nervous toward the end because it was pretty close, but I was excited for that,” she said. “I wanted it to be a close game.”