Quotes to note: 06.09.2011

“I believe it is time to convene the leaders from each of our United States in a day of prayer and fasting, like that described in the book of Joel.”
— Gov. Rick Perry on his proclamation of Aug. 6 as “A Day of Prayer and Fasting for our Nation,” according to a statement released Monday.

“Government officials shouldn’t be encouraging citizens and fellow elected officials to participate in specific religious events. We’ve long urged elected officials at all levels to respect the separation of church and state and refrain from endorsing or promoting a religion.”
— Anti-Defamation League spokeswoman Dena Marks on Perry’s proclamation of “A Day of Prayer and Fasting for our Nation,” according to The Texas Tribune.

“It’s curious that advocates for productivity should take aim at one of the most productive universities in the nation.”
— UT President William Powers Jr. in a column on the recent report released by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity. The study suggests that an increased emphasis on faculty teaching at UT would result in significant savings. Powers’ column was published by the Austin American-Statesman and The Dallas Morning News earlier this week.

“I think we’ve done a fairly good job of keeping UT open to middle- and low-income students in the past, but I’m very concerned about our ability to do so in the future.”
— Tom Melecki, director of Student Financial Services, on UT’s ability to provide financial aid to students in need, according to The Daily Texan.

“Border security is not just about keeping illegal immigrants from crossing our Southern border — it’s about keeping our citizens safe and our communities free from dangerous drugs and violent transnational gangs.”
— Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst on the banning of sanctuary cities, which adopt policies to prohibit law enforcement agencies from enforcing immigration laws, according to the Austin American-Statesman. Perry added immigration legislation Tuesday to the Legislature’s agenda for the special session.