Quotes to note: mistakes in high and low places

Editor’s note: From the Republican presidential candidates to efficiency in higher education, these are among our favorite quotes from the past several days.

“You’ll have the opportunity here, in the state of Texas, to speak very loudly about what kind of leader you want in this country. … This is an important state for us.”
— Presidential candidate Rick Santorum on his chances for victory in the Texas Republican primary, according to The Washington Post.

“[Texas] can’t keep turning back federal funds that every state gets and then try to find money in our budget which is already being cut in key areas like education.”
— Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, on Thursday on the state’s move to exclude clinics affiliated with abortion providers from the Women’s Health Program, according to NPR. The state’s exclusion prompted the federal government to withdraw funding from the program altogether.

“It was the three most exhilarating hours of my life.”
— Texas Gov. Rick Perry joking on his short-lived campaign for president at an annual dinner that includes a roast of politicians, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“I’m not surprised that there’s a major public discussion. The question is whether the right kinds of strategies are being pushed to improve that situation. I doubt that.”
— Former UT President Larry Faulkner on the recent push for efficiency in higher education, according to The Texas Tribune.

The Election Supervisory Board disqualified Student Government executive alliance candidates Madison Gardner and Antonio Guevara on Wednesday for falsifying of financial records, disregarding an election fine and failing to comply with the election code. Gardner and Guevara appealed the ESB’s decision, and the following quotes are from the judicial court’s resulting hearing Sunday.

“I’m sorry, you should make less mistakes. … That alone qualifies you for a disqualification.”
— ESB Chair Eric Nimmer on questions regarding the severity of the ESB’s decision to disqualify Gardner and Guevara.

“I’m supposed to go under the guise … that you keep making mistakes, but you are making mistakes that are convenient to your campaign.”
— Nimmer on whether the Gardner/Guevara campaign’s recent violations constitute mistakes or negligence.

“Leaving out the fine on our financials wasn’t of any strategic value for the campaign. The disclosure wasn’t public at the time.”
— Aakash Kumar, who represented the Gardner/Guevara campaign at the hearing, on the failure of the campaign to include a fine on its most recent financial statement to the ESB.

“This has been the most stressful few weeks of my life. … I have three weeks of laundry piled up.”
— Alex Jones, a Gardner/Guevara supporter, on the most recent mistakes of the campaign.