Horns Up, Horns Down for Oct. 15: What is Hegar running for anyway, Health science center reaccredited

horns

Horns Down: Aren't you running for comptroller? 

On Monday, state Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, released an ad in his campaign for Texas state comptroller. In the roughly minute-long piece, the senator expresses his commitment to both Texas’ “business climate and our unwavering support for the unborn.” The first part we understand as a relevant campaign promise, but his support for the unborn? While we’re sure Hegar’s pandering will appeal to many social conservatives, seeing as the State’s comptroller’s main responsibility is to serve as the “Chief Steward of the State’s Finances,” if he wants to protect the unborn, shouldn’t he stay in the Senate? 

Horns Up: UT-Health Science Center off probation

The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio announced this week that it is officially off the probation it was put on in October of 2011 when they lost their accreditation for problems relating to curriculum and faculty issues. For some students, the lack of  accreditation may have been the main factor in deciding to go somewhere else — potentially somewhere out of state — for medical school. With the current shortage of physicians in the state, this return to full accreditation is good not just for the health science center but for all of Texas.