Women’s soccer: Horns to face Bulldogs for first time

This weekend will focus on several firsts. Texas will face Georgia for the first time in school history. Georgia will be hosting their first home game of the season against Texas. Cal State Northridge will be on the road for the first time this year with their Lone Star State tour. Also, Texas will have their first chance of the season to obtain a winning record.

After dropping their season opener to Loyola Marymount at home 3-1, the Longhorns bounced back on the road against the University of Houston 3-0.

Georgia, who also sports a 1-1 season record, finished 2010 with an overall record of 11-6-4. The Bulldogs will be returning with a majority of their starters from a team who just missed the NCAA tournament but reached the semifinals of the SEC Championships for the third time in recent years.

For their first ever matchup against Texas, the Georgia athletic department is anticipating a sold-out crowd that totals between 2,000 and 3,000 fans.

Cal State Northridge will face both Texas and Baylor this weekend in it’s first road test of the season. The Matadors have a 2-1 record against teams from the Big 12 Conference but the Longhorns, who will return seven starters this season, hope to erase that statistic.

Senior defender Lucy Keith will lead the Longhorns this weekend as the recently named team captain for the 2011 season. Other leaders this season include senior midfielder Kylie Doniak and sophomore defender Nina Frausing Pedersen who were both named to the 2011 preseason all-Big 12 tram.

Last season, the Longhorns advanced to the NCAA tournament for the ninth time in team history, though they were defeated early in the first round to James Madison University. Texas will field a very young team this year despite having 13 players returning.

Printed on Friday, August 26, 2011 as: Texas takes on Georgia, Cal State Northridge.